Friday, November 7, 2008

2 OMG moments in Waiting for Godot

One OMG moment in Waiting for Godot was probably the part where Lucky and Potso enter. In this scene Gogo and Didi meet Potso and Potso's slave Lucky. Gogo and Didi are fascinated with Lucky and witness Potso treating Lucky badly. When ordering Lucky to do something, after he has completed his task, Potso makes him go back to his place (far behind him). This carries on repeating but with different tasks (eg. Giving Potso his food, a chair etc). This made an impact to me because I felt sorry for Lucky but at the same time I wanted to laugh and felt guilty for laughing. I think the repetition of Potso ordering Lucky around even for the smallest things was quite absurd which brought in the laughter. However the way the actor of Lucky showed how much pain and suffering he was going through really got to me and I began to feel his pain. The actor of Potso brought in the steriotype of a typical, olden day, English gentlemen which also contributed to the laughter.

Another OMG moment was when Gogo and Didi wanted to hang themselves on the tree. In this scene they are discusing by the tree how they can hang themselves. They talk about needing a rope but in the end give up. This moment made an impact on me because of the fact that it made me think about how they are "waiting for Godot" and how this could relate to waiting for God. It made me realise how this 'thing' they are waiting for could be God and that there trust in him has faded as they are willing to hang themselves. I think that using the tree which was shaped as a cross was very significant in this scene as to me it symbolised the crucifix.

Catriona

No comments: